Hello beautiful , I am really excited for today’s recipe , I hope you liked yesterday’s recipe as much as I liked sharing it with you … Mutton ! Delicious ,succulent mutton is going to be our protein of the day , we have done malay recipes before and because your response was so positive , I couldn’t miss the opportunity to share another .
This recipe serves 4 .
- 400 gm boneless mutton – cut into 1/4 cubes
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 4 dry red chilies
- 4 candlenuts or 8 blanched almonds
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 tsp finely chopped lemon rind
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 walnut sized ball of tamarind – boil for 2 minutes in 1/2 cup of water and strain
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder
- A pinch of nutmeg
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cinnamon powder
- 2 cloves crushed
- 2 green cardamons
- Dry roast the desiccated coconut , stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes or until it is a rich golden brown colour. Remove and keep aside .
- Grind tamarind with onions and all other ingredients in a mixer / blender churn to a smooth, thick liquid.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add candlenuts or almonds . Fry for a few seconds and remove from oil . Keep aside .
- Add whole red chilies in the same oil and stir for a second. Add onion – tamarind fry on medium flame for 5 minutes ,stirring constantly.
- Ads meat pieces and lemon grass . Keep stirring for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and salt. Pressure cook to give 2 whistles. Reduce heat cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Remove from fire. Let the pressure drop by itself. Check for tenderness of the mutton.
- Add coconut milk and keep on low heat for 2-4 minutes till heated through. Serve hot with rice.