Hey , I feel like it has been long since last posted an Indian dish recipe , and the last time we have done something Indian it was eggs. Today let’s get deeper.
For today’s recipe i chose , Dum murg, It’s a thick chicken curry , flavoured in the end and kept in a sealed handi on low heat for the flavors to penetrate the curry .
This recipe serves 4.
- 800 gm chicken – cut into 8-12 pieces
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamoms crushed
- 10 cashew nuts ground to a fine paste with water
- 1 tbsp chironji
- 3 large onions finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup thick yogurt beaten well till smooth
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaes dry roast on a griddle and crush to a powder
- 1/2 tsp green cardamon powder
- 1/4 tsp mace powder
- Grind cashew nuts and chironji to a very smooth paste with a little water
- Heat oil in a pan with a lid . Add bay leaf and crushed green cardamons. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and stir fry till light brown .
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces , stir fry continuously on high flame for about 5 minutes or till the chicken turns whitish and the water evaporates.
- Mix cashew nut paste ,chili powder ,salt ,turmeric and garam masala to the yogurt.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the chicken , stir for about 5-7 minutes till the yoghurt turns absolutely dry and oil separates.
- Add fenugreek leaves mix well.
- Add 2 cups of hot water , sprinkle mace and cardamon powder . Seal the lid of the pan with an atta dough and keep on low heat to cook for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with naan ,roti or paratha (indian breads).