Hey guys, I have recently found a new boo and it’s Asian cosine but because I can’t really travel we have a really long distance relationship , but the distance isn’t going to ruin us, I have tried restaurants and stuff but the truth it was hurting my wallet , so I started learning a few recipes and I would love to share them with you .
The first cosine we are going to try , so the first recipe is going to be an appetizer Vietnamese shrimp toasts to be specific. These deep fried shrimp bread are wonderful appetizers or snacks , and you have it with the traditional dipping sauce which is called nuoc cham (the recipe will be added below). Nuoc cham is as common is Vietnamese cousine as salsa is on a Mexican table , it adds an exciting kick to a wide variety of dishes.
Nuoc Cham sauce (dipping sauce)
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh red chili – grind in a mixer
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce,
- 2 tbsp water
- To make the dipping sauce, combine garlic, chili and sugar in a mixer. Grind it making it into a paste.
- Add the lemon juice, soy sauce and water.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar. Strain the sauce through a sieve and set aside .
- 16 bread slices
- 225 gm shrimps/ small prawns ( about 24 pieces) peeled and deveined
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- oil for frying
Grind to paste
- 1 flake of garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- Grind all the above ingredients in a mixer to a smooth paste .
preparing the toast
- The toast: Add shrimp,sugar, salt , pepper and cornflour to the garlic-onion paste. Process just for a second to get a rough paste in a mixer ( do not puree).
- Spread some of the shrimp mixture evenly over each slice of bread. Smooth the tops.
- Sprinkle the tops evenly with sesame seeds , pressing them lightly.
- Heat oil in a wok ( I don’t have a wok so I use a frying pan).
- Carefully add one slice at a time with shrimp side in the oil.
- Fry until golden brown on the underside, for about 2 minutes.
- Turn over and continue to fry until golden brown on the second side.
- Remove the fried toasts and drain on paper towels. Repeat for the remaining toasts.
- Arrange on a serving dish and serve hot with Nuoc Cham sauce.